Friday, July 16, 2010

Moving from ATL to NYC

The countdown has begun! In less than two weeks, I will be a New Yorker. My days of sippin' lemonade on my porch while listening to the crickets chirp at night and seeing random strangers on the streets who smile and greet me with "how ya doin?'" will be long gone. I'm excited about this transition and honestly, a little anxious too. The most "city" I've experienced so far is a few homeless people scattered throughout downtown Atlanta; Hawks/Falcons game at Phillips, and singing/clubbing on the weekends. Not discounting ATL, but that's next to nothing compared to what I'm about to get myself into. I've heard the horror stories about getting mugged in NY allies, and the shell-shock I will experience after avoiding getting trampled on the subway for the first time during rush hour. I've heard about the trash on the streets, the big rats who anyone can mistake for cats running along the sidewalks, and the noise that is so intense that it will make you want to run and hide. For some reason though, it sounds super exciting! Maybe I was born to be a New Yorker. I guess we will see in 15 days. Well, I can tell you one thing: This apartment search is for the BIRDS! Why do you have to submit your W2s, bank statements, tax returns, and life history to rent an apartment? Whatever happened to a simple credit check? I have bought two houses in my lifetime and the extent of information these landlords want can easily be transferred over to a home loan application. I know this is only a one-time thing, but geez. Give a girl a break. Anyway, I'm excited about all of the FABULOUS shopping; the Broadway shows; the exciting people; the New York slice; and dollar taxies (they really don't cost a dollar--right?). I'm spending my weekends tying up "loose ends" in ATL, so I'm not experiencing anything New York-like quite yet; but there will be more to come--I GUARANTEE IT! By the way: NY ladies: do you really wear sneakers while you walk the city streets, or is that just on t.v.? I'm a stilettos girl and I've NEVER been caught wearing anything less than 3 inches on my feet! Do tell...

6 comments:

  1. I'm First to post! Don't let the big rats scare you. NYC is truly an intoxicating city and there are some friendly people. Live ya life, have fun with the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soooooooooooo 'HAPPY" for you...but at the same time, sad that your leaving....no more drop and give me fifty, walk it like a dog, or whooooooo hoooooo (singing) in CF...... TRUST & BELIEVE P'Town will be coming up to visit you in the BIG APPLE...SMOOCHES BOO!!!! HOW YOU DURRNNNNNNNNN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my fabulous Parnell.. I will miss you too. You better come visit! I'm not playin'! We got some dancefloors to tear up in the Big A. I have a couple more dance classes in ATL before I'm gone, so I will see you at Bally's :) Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are gonna love NYC! It's the most exciting city in the world. It will make you laugh and cry at a moments notice. But you're a tough girl and can handle it. Hold things down for me. I'm sure I'll be back there sometime in the near future. Love ya' always Earl

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, you can't start a blog and then not post for 2 weeks! :) Can't wait to hear the stories. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earl you are so sweet :) Hope to see you soon! Julie, I know right?? I have been so busy and tired I haven't had a chance to get on facebook or ANYTHING! This new life is something else...

    ReplyDelete